Tuna & White Bean Salad
This is a quick and delicious salad that can be served on toasted bread or straight out of the bowl. It can be made with grilled fresh tuna steaks or using canned tuna. Have it for lunch or even a light dinner.
No worries about 100 calories per tablespoon here as this is a no-mayo salad. For the dressing we are using a simple drizzle of olive oil and fresh lemon juice.
The canned white beans, white navy beans or Italian cannellini beans are easily interchangeable. Be sure to drain and rinse them thoroughly before using.
Red onion adds a touch of color and a little heat to this simple salad. Slice them into thin rings for some nice visual variety.
Bonappetito! TAKES 15 MIN. SERVES 4 AS A MEAL.
- 4 cups fresh arugula
- 1 can (15 oz.) no-salt-added, white beans, navy beans or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (5 oz. each) albacore white tuna in water, drained
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced olives green, Kalamata, or your favorite variety
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (optional)
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp. grated lemon zest (optional)
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- Salt and black pepper
- Toased bread (optional)
- Place the arugula, white beans, tuna, tomatoes, olives and red onion in a large bowl.
- Whisk together oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and garlic.
- Drizzle over salad.
- Add tuna and toss to combine.
- Top with crumbled feta cheese to add some Mediterranean flavor (optional).
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.